History

Whitehorse Primary School is a co-educational school located in a quiet residential part of Blackburn North, a suburb in Melbourne's East. The school was created when two smaller local schools - Nunawading and Springview - were brought together in 2010. The new school community was located at a temporary site in Nunawading for two years, before opening a brand-new purpose-built campus in Blackburn North in 2012.


Although Whitehorse Primary School is a young school, it is privileged to have a heritage that dates back more than 90 years. Its founding schools both had long and proud histories: Nunawading Primary School opened in Springvale Road in 1922 (originally as Tunstall State School) and Springview Primary School opened in Junction Road in 1964. Many thousands of students attended the former schools and both are still held with affection in the hearts of the local and wider communities.


 


 

The official opening of Tunstall State School in 1926


Now in its fifth year, Whitehorse Primary School is a thriving school and a bustling community hub. Seedlings Playgroup and Seedlings @ Whitehorse Kindergarten are both conveniently located within the school. An out-of-school hours care facility accommodates families from both Whitehorse Primary School and the adjacent St Phillips Catholic Primary School. The school is also utilised after-hours by a range of local community arts and sporting groups.


In March 2014, the Whitehorse City Council, relocated the Blackburn North Maternal and Child Health Centre to purpose-built consulting rooms within the school campus.